Logic vs Tradition

Yesterday I was visiting family, and had a most peculiar conversation.
Through a series of events, and topics I learned something about “the old ways”.

Here is what I was told:
Back in the old days, where everyone in the village knew everyone. Any stranger can come into someone’s house, he would be greeted with kindness, given a place to sleep, & fed. (All this good, here is the kicker for me). It is considered ill-behavior of the host to ASK the guest who he is. Yet it is expected for the host to have the stranger live amongst his family, for even up to 3 days.

Now. I’m usually a patient man, and I do understand that kindhearted-ness of my ancestors, and I have NO problem with hosting a visitor at my place, but I must know who that person is. Because why would I host someone who is volunteering his information. If I were to need to be a guest somewhere, I’m taught not only to introduce my self, but to bring or leave a gift as a “Thank You” for my hosts. But this whole “3 Days with no information” doesn't fly with me.

Needless to say this sparked a most spirited debate, between myself, and elder-folk on the dinner table, who were defending this tradition most aggressively. But I stood my ground until they admitted that “Yes, its not logical, but its tradition”, that’s all I wanted to hear. I would've been very worried I had not heard them say that.

I have nothing against tradition, we have many beautiful ones, I still use many of our “behavioral” traditions, because they are nice. Like respecting my elders, giving my seat on the bus to a lady or an elderly man, hosting friends of friends if they are visiting my city. (But you better be damn sure I will be asking their name first). :)

This Saturday, I shall be rocking in Washington DC at BloomBars with Moonliscious, details in the "Shows" Page :)

Have a great week everyone!

Shukran, Thank You, & Much Love.
Mosno :)
- - - - -
Lets Socialize
www.mosno.net
Tweets @mosno_music
Read: The mos:BLOG (posts every Monday)
Join: The Desert Symposium (Monthly discussion + a free EP )-Form at the Top Right!!
Join: The Soul Alchemists (For exclusive material + more free music) 

4 comments:

  1. Agreed! I'd at least want to know a name and some basic info, otherwise, the homeless man who kicks the parking meters outside my building at 3AM might come live with me for 3 days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!?. That was actually a 2nd part of the argument, because they say "If they don't know a person, then they would keep Greeting him, in hopes that he provides some information", I was like PHUK That, if he's not providing it, then I'm asking! hahaha :D

      I'm happy to say that "Logic" won that round! w00t!

      Delete
  2. It does send my mind down the "why" path. The tradition did have some logic or reason BEHIND it. I just wonder what it was. Why would it be important to travel nameless, to accept the nameless into your home? Many, many old stories have the 'help the old lady, help the homeless man' and it turns out to be an aspect of god or a witch,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The logic that they said was that it will "ill-behavior" or "Rude" to ask the guest their name. Which to me makes no sense.
      I'm all for helping something when I can, I have no problem with that. But its not logical for me to not at least even know the Stranger's name, especially if its my "duty" to host the stranger in my home as family.
      See what I mean?

      Delete