Sudanese or Arab?

In the past few weeks I've been reading a lot of posts in my Sudanese online circles about this topic. The main question that keeps popping up is "Why do so many Sudanese people claim to be Arab?". It is a topic of much MUCH debate.

 The short history of it is that people of Sudan, mainly North Sudan, learned the Arabic language from the Arab traders back in the day. Now, keep in mind Sudan has several tribes, and due to these tribes, there are about 300+ tribal languages spoken. But the good old government made "Arabic" the "Official" language, and Islam the "Official" religion back in the day.

This actually sparked an interesting observation for me, when people ask me "What are you?" I say "Sudanese", then the next question is usually "What language do you speak in Sudan?" and my answer is "Arabic". A-ha!!! I think I have found the cause of the confusion. Its language.

Here is my idea, and yes I know it SOUNDS impossible, but so was putting a man on the moon so please bare with me.
What if? We create a "Sudanese" language?. We have so many tribal language already, why not pull our resources, and created a unified language specifically for Sudan?. That way when a Sudanese person is asked "What language do you speak?", they can say "Sudanni" or "Sudanese".

I know some might say, well its an Islamic country and the Quran is written in Arabic.
So what! Pakistan & parts of Malaysia are also Islamic countries and they have their own independent language(s) that is NOT Arabic.

I truly think that it is up to us, the Sudanese people, both inside and outside of Sudan who will make this happen. The current Sudanese government is too busy killing those inside of Sudan, shunning scaring those outside of Sudan so they can keep doing what they are doing.

But honestly, think about it! if we had a Unified Sudanese Language, which would be used through out the country, that will not only help strengthen our pride in our heritage, but it will unite us as people.
Just a thought...and hopefully a movement :)
See you next Monday.


Shukran, Thank You, & Much Love.
Mosno :)
- - - - -
Lets Socialize
www.mosno.net
Tweets @mosno_music
Read: The mos:BLOG (posts every Monday)
Join: The Desert Symposium (Monthly discussion + a free EP )
Join: The Soul Alchemists (For exclusive material + more free music) 

No comments:

Post a Comment